Sunday, September 23, 2012

hot hOt HOT

So I expected it to be hot here in the Caribbean but considering it was just summer back home I thought we would adjust no problem. Boy was I wrong and holy smokes is it ever HOT!! Most days its in the low 30's which I could totally handle no problem. But with the high humidity the "feels like" temperature usually comes out at 44, 45 and 46 degrees Celsius. So basically I have no energy to get anything done and I have had no desire to even think of unpacking. The  h u m i d i t y  makes everything soo S T I C K Y. Basically I feel like having a shower all the time. Sad news about that is that the water we get comes from a cistern which collects the rain water. If it doesn't rain, we have no water. Which means a big truck would have to come and we would have to then buy water. So for showers we get wet quick, wash our bodies and hair with the water off, then quickly rinse off. No nice long cool showers here. 
We were lucky enough to have a fan already in our apartment. We probably would have DIED the first night without it. But with only 1 fan and 4 people made it pretty tricky to reach all of us while we were sleeping. An oscillating fan in this weather does not help very much. Especially trying to reach Liam in his play pen. So every night he would end up waking up just sweating and we all get to sleep in the same bed together. Yep, that's right!! All 4 of us in the same full sized bed. Its great!

 I woke up one in the middle of the night and thought my boys were pretty cute all cozied up on the same bed. In the first picture you might wondered where I fit on there. Haha, it gets pretty  
 s q u i  s  h y!!

 The boys are also suffering. Liam is a trooper and doesn't let the heat get him down. He is one crazy playing machine with lots of       e n e r g y. All day he looks like hes been swimming though. His head is just  d r i p p i n g  with sweat. Poor Caleb hasn't been as lucky. He just wont settle down in this heat. We have been told not to use the A/C too much because our bill would be huge, so we had been trying to not use it at all. We had to finally give in because Caleb was just suffering too much. The instant we turned the A/C on Caleb calmed right down. It was amazing actually. So instead of toughing it out we have decided to use the A/C when we need to and its been completely worth it. Even though we still haven't received the bill yet...
Hanging out with dad. Hes saying "CHEESE" in this picture!! Every time he sees a camera now he says cheese. Its pretty cute even though most of the time hes saying cheese but wont actually look at the camera!
Liam coloring. I am not sure if you can tell by these pictures but his head is just sopping wet. Still happy as can be though. :)
This is how we found Liam as we were going to bed. He was seriously just soaking wet.  Poor little thing. Obviously the fan was not doing its job!

I sweat really bad too. Liam must get it from me. Kinda gross but while I am sweeping, mopping or doing the dishes I sweat so much that I have sweat dripping off my eyelashes. Sweat also gets into my eyes and its just not very nice. I feel like a basketball player at the end of a hard game with sweat just dripping everywhere. YUCK!
Poor Brant has it the worst. He has to go to school all day in air conditioned rooms and then he comes home and while we cook and eat supper we turn the AC on. Then after the boys are in bed he usually goes back to the school and studies in once again an air conditioned room. I feel really bad for him and all of you should too!! :) Just bugging, I'm just happy he is trying his hardest to study as much as he can and I am very proud of him!!
Thankfully we are in the hottest and most humid months to start off with. Its supposed to be a lot cooler in the winter. So we are anxiously waiting to find out if the rumors are true! Were crossing our fingers! Until then its off to the store for us to purchase another fan!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe it's that hot there all the time. And I don't know how the 4 of you sleep in one bed...that would NEVER work for my family. Jacob isn't one that sleeps well with other people in the room, never mind IN HIS BED! Thank goodness school is only 20 months for you! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its supposed to be cooler in the winter months! Im not too sure how we are sleeping in the same bed either. lol. Caleb is now in the playpen but Liam is still with us. And he rolls around all over and has been getting up between 5 and 6 since we have got here....not cool.

      Delete
  2. Fun blog Camille! Don't worry it will start to cool off little by little for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got exactly one "cold front" during our time on Statia...I spent two nights wearing a t-shirt to bed to keep warm and it was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah not many cold days here thats for sure! :) In Jan and Feb I started sleeping with a sheet. Some nights I put it on but not lately!! SOO HOT!

      Delete