Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Why Statia?!

So I should have posted this one sooner but here it is now.
Brant and I knew med school was in our future. Brant has always wanted to be some sort of doctor! Last summer he wrote the MCAT but had less than 2 weeks to study for it so we knew he would have to re-write the exam next summer to have a really competitive score. We had talked about where we should go for school and Brant always wanted to stay in Alberta. I thought if we were already going somewhere we should go somewhere sweet, somewhere AWAY. We knew a couple people on Statia going to school but coming here was never an option for us. We didn't know much about it but we thought it wasn't for us. One night Brant couldn't sleep and when I woke up told me he thought we needed to come to Statia. I wasn't too sure about that but I told him whatever he thought was best but that he needed to do some more research about the school before we decided for sure. After much research, Statia was our plan. Statia seemed to be the right thing for us....We could be there this fall, its only 20 months instead of 3 years, and Brant wouldn't have to retake the MCAT. We would also be able to come back to Alberta to do the residency part of his school if we want to, which is totally awesome! Brant worked on getting his application all ready to send off. He found a professor to give him a reference letter and then we just waited. We waited and waited. And I was getting impatient. If we were going I wanted to know.... NOW!! Brant is much more patient than me and laid back. I kept telling him to bug his prof almost every day. Nothing seemed to get the prof to want to get us that letter in any hurry. I was getting anxious and got to the point where I didn't think it would be possible to make it here for the fall semester. Finally she got the letter sent. Brant called to make sure they had received it and they told him they did not have his transcripts.... that were sent months ago. I was annoyed. Brant figured everything our and then we played the waiting game. On July 27 2012 we went on a family vacation to Penticton with my parents and sisters family. On the way there Brant recieved the email confirming that he was ACCEPTED! We were so happy! And we knew this is where we were supposed to be!! But this left us almost NO time to get anything organized to go. We stayed for holidays and Brant was able to organize some things while we were there. Housing for us, bank stuff, and some other things. We got back to Alberta and stayed the next week at Brants parents house while his sister Tyanne and her husband Ryan were here. We booked our flights that week and had about 2 and a half weeks to get everything else organized once we got home.
We spent every day that week and cleared everything out of the house and decided to have a garage sale. Thanks to my WONDERFULLY AMAZING MOTHER who spent every waking hour for the next 2 1/2 weeks helping us organize our lives to move to a new country. Without her as well as my AMAZING SISTER Megan we would not have been able to get here with everything they did for us. The garage sale was a huge success and we were actually able to pay for all of our flights to get here. Anything we didn't sell was either in our huge storage bin we bought or taken to the thrift store. We got life insurance, loans, renters,  a will and cleaned like crazy people. Among other things I cant think of right now!
With such little time and so many people to see before we left we were running around like crazy people. We are so grateful for the time we were able to spend with the people we did and wish we could have spent more quality time with them. Me and the boys were able to spend our last day at the pool with my sister, her kids and my mom. We had such a fun time.
We will definitely miss you all and all the fun time we spent with you. Liam will miss grandpa and his truck and bonks. Liam will miss his cousins and seeing them every day. Liam will miss the farm and the quad (bike as he would call it)  and the horses and the puppies. Liam will miss his GRANDMA like crazy. She shows us such unconditional love and she will be missed like crazy. Mostly by me. I don't show it very well but I love and appreciate her more than I could ever explain! I rely so much on her and know that being here will be one of my biggest trials but also one of my biggest growing experiences and I am looking forward to it!! Liam and Caleb will miss all of you and we hope we can spend a lot of time skyping so he won't ever forget any of you!
I want EVERYONE to know we would LOVE to have you come and visit us. We would love to have anyone here. There's not a ton to do but I promise you we will have FUN! :) I mean we live in the CARIBBEAN - how cool is that?!
Please come!!

1 comment:

  1. Camille! I love your new little blog :) Although, the font is difficult for me to read. What an exciting adventure for you guys! Good luck to Brant in med school and I hope you find amazing friends in Statia!

    ReplyDelete