Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I HATE ANTS

I realize hate is a strong word and for some reason I have taken shows like Bee movie and A Bugs Life to heart and usually find it hard to kill bugs. Since living here on Statia I have completley changed my mind on the way I feel about ants. I hate them. I wish to never see another ant in my life. I have only lived on this tiny Island for less than 2 months and I am already so done with ants. I have probably killed thousands and thousands of ants. And I am not kidding. If you spill anything you can be sure to be greeted by a cluster of swarming ants within minutes and with a single wipe with paper towel you can probably kill 50 just like that. Some days I will find myself with a piece of paper towel or a wet wipe just sitting on the floor waiting for the next ant to appear so I can kill it. 

Liam is so dear to my heart, however I could make myself go crazy with all the little messes and stickiness that happen because of my sweet little boy. Not only is it a pain to clean up but its even more of a pain when you miss a spot and have a million little visitors come your way. I have tried just using water and soap or my cleaning spray to kill them and get rid of them. Today I have figured out that in order for them to stop coming (until your next mess) is by this stuff I use called Black flag. There was this other stuff called BOP at the store but apparently it isn't approved in the states but I may be investing in some of that too. I hear it may be stronger (exactly what I need).

You see the problem here is that the houses are not sealed very well and the ants make their way in through all the cracks in the walls. As well these ants seem to like current. Or else its just an easy access for them but they can be found in and around your plug ins. The last couple days I have had a bunch swarming between two electric plug ins on one of my walls. Every few minutes I would kill 5 or 20 ants that would sneak their way up or down the wall. I am not sure what they liked about going up and down because there was no food or anything but maybe just the heat from the back of the fridge, I don't know. Anyways, after spraying some Black flag around the plug ins and on the wall I haven't seen an ant for quite a few hours now and I am pretty happy about that. Sitting there watching for he next bunch of ants to appear was becoming quite time consuming and my boys were in much need of some attention.

On a little different note still having to do with ants is that they also have FIRE ants here. I had heard people talk about them and how they hurt really bad and if they bite your feet it literally feels like they are on fire. So for Sunday school we meet at the school in the little courtyard there and Liam just plays around outside there. One day he was just out there playing on the grass when all of a sudden Liam kinda starts making some noise, and comes back to the pavement, and I just had the worst feeling in the world. I rush over to him and see ants ALL over his feet and then I feel some on me and one kinda bit me and it hurt quite a bit and then it hit me....He was being attacked by these nasty fire ants. I quickly pick him up and get all the ants away. Poor kid had a bunch of little bits all over the tops and sides of his feet. For a couple days he wouldn't even let me touch his feet at all. Luckiy I brought some dream cream with us and even though he screamed when we put it on the pain only lasted for a couple days. Poor little guy. We are going to have to be more careful when we play outside on the grass now.





















Almost every morning we wake up to find little bug bits on us. I am not sure what bug is biting us but the bites never fail to be there each morning. Liam woke up one day to a bunch of big read marks all over his back. The bugs must really like him cause he always seems to have the most bites.
 

8 comments:

  1. You poor things! May the countdown to coming back 'home' begin! Do the other people not from Statia have the same problem? What do they do to remedy the ants? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not realyl sure what everyone else does! BOP?! At our new place we just had so many super itsy bitsy ants everywhere. I but borax and sugar everywhere and it seems to help a bit. I have to do it every once and a while! :) thanks!

      Delete
  2. oh my! haha i should have warned you about the courtyard at the school! back in the day, mads got attacked big time and his whole foot swelled up! they are nasty, those little things, and they are definitely one of the things i miss the least! lysol becomes your friend quickly, that's for sure! when we got home, dust went to get the lysol for the table, and i reminded him that a plain and simple wet rag works here - yay!!! anyway, feeling for you and bop til you drop over there :) they seem to come and go, so hopefully they'll calm down soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, haha, anything that is prickly at all Liam thinks its ants biting him now! We hate them! BOP till you drop is def my motto. I cant stand the little things. I put borax and sugar like around my whole house. The are just annoying!

      Delete
  3. Oh that's so sad. We used to mix Baygun insect killer in with our mop solution and mop the floors with it and that would keep them away for some time. I didn't do it very often with the babies crawling on the floors but I'd mop, go to the beach or pool and come back when it was all dried. It really really helped. Thankfully for the most part the fire ants stayed outside and the black ants were inside.
    Once when Madison got chicken pox it took us a few days to figure out what it really was because we just assumed she had fire ants in her bedroom. Oops
    Good luck and I hope you find something that works ... what do the locals do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for the info! We will def have to try that! Yes, the fire ants stay outside here too! Thank goodness. Since our move we have had no weird bug bites!! Thats kinda funny that you didnt know she had chicken pox. Sad, but funny. I dont really know what locals do. Somehow I think they dont care. Island life they would say!

      Delete
  4. I feel sorry for Liam. The poor little kid is being attacked by insects most of the time! Does he use insect repellants? Many dermatologically-tested hypoallergenic insect repellants are available in the market today. However, the best way to prevent insects inside the house is to keep it clean all the time. You can also try using insect sprays or burning incense with citronella or eucalyptus scents.

    -Bridgette Adair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, poor dude always has some sorta bite it seems! Fire ants are the worst though. He thinks any sorta prickly thing is a fire ant and comes running syaing "bite ants" its pretty cute. Those are good ideas. I should get a citronella candle! :) thanks!

      Delete