Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Laundry in Statia


Laundry in Statia is a bit different than back home and a lot more time consuming. We are actually lucky right now and we have a washer AND a dryer. There are only about 7 dryers on the whole island and 2 of them are at our apartment.





























The washer has 2 parts to it. One section washes the clothes and the other section spins the clothes. So what I do is take a garden hose and fill up the washer with water and add my detergent. It washes for about 12 minutes and then I take the clothes and ring a bit of water out myself and stick them into the spinner. That is usually about 3 minutes. Then I add my 2nd load into the washer and wash some more clothes....same water. Then I spin those clothes and drain the water out of the washer. I add new water and rinse the clothes about 9 minutes and then they go back in the spinner for 3 minutes. Then I get to hang the clothes to dry. We try not to use our dryer too much since it can be quite expensive to run all the time. So this is what the balcony looks like on laundry day!

Little Caleb hanging out on the tile floor while I try to get all the laundry finished. Right now we are borrowing the drying rack from our neighbors cause we don't have one yet. And with not enough room I hang things off the balcony too. They dry quicker that way anyways. You just have to remember to take them off and fold them before it gets too late in the day (sunset) otherwise the humidity makes them damp again and I leave them up for the sun to re-dry them the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, learning all kinds of new things on your island! Sounds like laundry day would be a lot more work than it is in the States! Makes me appreciate a real washer & dryer more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Laundry is a whole day thing. I am used to it now and I think I might want to hang dry stuff more often back home but is def something nice to have. The long process of laundry is just annoying though!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thnanks !:) We loved it too. We moved and dont have quite as nice of view but our house is amazing now! The view is still good too!

      Delete